Monday, July 15, 2013

The weekly Semana....?

July 15, 2013
I stole this weeks title from Don... who stole it from Adam I believe... but no. This is not the weekly Semana. Even though it seems a bit appropriate now that I'm in an area with a TON of Spanish speaking people!!!!!!!!! But I'll tell you about that in a second.
This week was Transfer week! I had to leave Concordia on Wednesday, say goodbye to Elder Kempter and all the branch members that I happened to see on the way out, and then head on out here to Garden City Kansas! This area was in the Colorado, Colorado Springs mission, and I am here with mostly those missionaries who were a part of that mission! So it's really interesting to see the differences in rules and policies and such. 

Anyways, this area, Garden City, and the Ward that I'm serving in... has 4 companionships just to the one ward. Also, the population here is about 50 percent Spanish. So... I'm really glad that we have a companionship here that is Spanish speaking. So they get to handle all of that stuff :) 

I am still the District Leader, and the Zone Leaders here are a part of my District, so I get to hold them accountable, humble them a little bit ;) Nah just kidding, but it's nice having them in the District. 

Oh! My bad. Some of you are probably yelling at me (Maybe it's just my mom) wondering who my new companion is. His name is Elder Heppler, and he is from American Fork Utah! So that's cool, he's a real good guy, funny, and easy to get along with. We're having a good time already.

But, when I first got here, we immediately got home, and I had to change into my service close because we had a dinner appointment/service opportunity in about 10 minutes! So, I changed and got the heck out of there! We went to the families home, (I'm forgetting their names right now... my bad!) and we pulled a bunch of weeds, and laid some mulch in the garden. It was fun, and a good way to get to know the other elders (and sisters) right off the bat. All of the companionships were there at dinner, so that was good for me to get to know them.

Then after that we finally came back to the apartment, where I was able to really take stock of things. The whole place was a gigantic MESS!!!! Super gross, so we spent all the next day cleaning up the whole apartment, taking out garbage, vacuuming, stuff like that. And to be honest, that's how it's been pretty much this whole week. We have had to spend a TON of time cleaning up the apartment, the area book, and just making sure that WE are organized and ready to get out and work. I very strongly feel that we can't be very effective missionaries if we can't even keep our apartment clean. 

So that about does it for this week!
OH! One funny thing did happen actually 2 nights ago. Elder Heppler told me in the morning that he was trying to get to sleep when I started to kind of mumble nonsense in my sleep, he tried to talk to me to see if I was awake or not, and then all of a sudden I sat straight up, and yelled at him, "It's UNLOADED!!!!!!!!!!" then I laid back down and went to sleep like normal! I don't remember a dang thing!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :) Fun stuff.

We're having fun out here, doing the work of the Lord. Please keep me in your prayers, as I keep you in mine. I love you all, and I want you to know that I know, that our Savior lives. That Jesus Christ is the Lord of the Harvest. This is His work, and we are all a part of it. 

Elder DeFreese
P.S. Write me this week and tell me how you're doing with "the challenges" that I've given you! I want to know how it's going!  And if you haven't done it, then maybe you should. Wanna know why? Because a prophet of God has said that every member is a missionary. So, that means that you need to get out there and do some missionary work. If you aren't, can you really look the Savior in the eye at judgment and say that you've done your best? Think about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment